Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What does a vintage loving, curvy woman wear as a MOTB?



I love getting mail. Imagine my delight when this popped up in the Fashion Adjacent mailbox:


Oh wise oracle of non conventional style,

In less than 2 months time I am to be a mother of the bride.  Not being the grey lace type & having failed to shrink enough to fit into the fabulous vintage ensemble I had planned to wear (sob!) I am in the horns of a dilemma.  What does a vintage loving, curvy woman wear as a MOTB? The colour theme of the wedding is peacock. 



Well, MOTB, I can certianly commiserate with the difficulty that an occasion like this can present, especially when you're plus sized. Finding something appropriate, that fits beautifully, that is in your budget, that shows your personal style, that's available, it's a big ask!


When you're Mother of the Bride, you're going to be in a lot of photos, and you want to look your best - you also know those photos are going to be around for a long time, so the stakes are high.. you want to get it right. You're going to be spending hours on your feet enjoying the congratulations of family and friends, and you also want to be comfortable as you rush about helping with those last minute flurries, and offering emotional support to your daughter as she takes one of life's larger steps into the future. 


That's a lot to ask of one outfit! Where to start? 

As Mother of the Bride you can take the theme of the wedding into consideration - you want to tone in with the bridal party, but because you're not part of it you can take the theme and run with it - or ignore it entirely if you desire. 


I love the idea of a peacock theme, so I have gone with the idea of referencing this in a fun way in your outfit. I would avoid a peacock-print in your dress and instead go with the colours - for a fun nod though I have selected some accessories that you could use with a peacock theme. 



Peacock Plus Size Mother of the Bride
I hope I have given you some ideas to assist in your search. 


Now.. who's next? Do you have a fashion dilemma or a challenge for me? Go ahead and send me an email to fashionadjacent at gmail dot com and I will be delighted to assist. 



Items featured:


Dress
$265 - whirlingturban.com

Dress
77 AUD - nordstrom.com

Jacket
$138 - igigi.com

Peacock pumps
£55 - office.co.uk

High heel shoes
$48 - modcloth.com

Blue shoes
$20 - bakersshoes.com

Peacock jewelry
$42 - macys.com

POL peacock feather jewelry
$16 - modcloth.com

Chain jewelry
$13 - modcloth.com

Peacock feather earrings
$5.99 - gofavor.com